Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Close Call

I took Bennett, Ainsley and a cousin to a pond to feed some ducks this afternoon. When we arrived, we were greeted by one duck, one swan and at least 50 geese. My gut said "stay in the car" but like a fool, I unloaded the children and we began what soon became a bird feed to remember. Within 30 seconds of exiting the car we were surrounded by hungry geese. Mr. Swan was making his way across the pond toward us. We continued feeding until one feisty goose started coming right at me. He did not show any interest in my bread, rather he just kept coming at me. I started freaking out, which in turn caused small children to start freaking out. I quietly told them, "Get back in the car." They were frozen in fear as the geese were swallowing them up. Each command to "get in the car" became louder until finally I yelled, "GET IN THE CAR!" They all three piled over top of each other through Bennett's door and booster seat. I climbed in the passenger side over Ainsley's seat in the front because the feisty goose wouldn't let me in on my side. It was a moment of panic. We then proceded to feed the rest of our bread to Mr. Swan through slightly cracked windows, as he had finally made it across the pond to where we were. You can see him in the picture below. We will not soon return to feed the "ducks" unless there are only ducks present in a quantity less than five.

No comments: