Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bennett Is Sick A.K.A. Crazy Talk

After what has been a really good winter in terms of health, Bennett has finally fallen victim to a relatively miserable illness.  Unsure as to whether it is viral or a sinus infection, I took her to the doctor.  The doctor confirmed that it is....either a virus or a sinus infection.  Good, thanks. 

 Here is the little lady waiting for the results of her blood work (via ouchy finger prick) and influenza nasal swab.  Not lookin' so good, Bennett.
 A pretty good indicator that your child is ill comes when they fall asleep on the hard kitchen floor at 11:00 a.m.
 You can also assume illness when your non-napper decides they need a second nap at 3:30 in the afternoon.  This one was taken in a softer location.   She went to bed at 8:30 with a fever of 104, her eyes hurting horribly, super stuffy nose and a terrible headache.  Poor little thing.



I am glad to report that while still feverish with painful eyeballs, she is looking a tad better this morning and the Motrin seems to be effective today.  Notice, the bathrobe is off, her eyes are open and she is wearing her blanket as a scarf or boa of sorts.  Let's hope today is a better day!
Now, not to make light of illness, but when Bennett is sick she is crazy hilarious. She is not trying to be in any way. But she always has this really pleasant disposition, although physically miserable, and she says really whacked out stuff.   I have documented several quotes from the past 36 hours in the book above.   If you are a parent, I highly recommend getting this journal to write down all the fun stuff your kids say.  Ours is full of little gems!  The following statements have been made, in all seriousness, by Bennett during this current bout with illness:

"If you could take the temperature of my eyelids, it would be boiling.  My tears are like hot steam."

(right after a violent vomiting episode) "OH!  That hurt SO bad!  I feel like I just had a baby through my mouth!"

"I think I should write a book.  I would call it I Survived the Finger Prick...or maybe I Survived Influenza."

"I feel like E.T. when he was dead!"

"Mom, I think I have that disease that Helen Keller's teacher had where her eyelids got connected to her eyes."

"Mom, I feel like I look the way you did in that picture from when you were a kid and Uncle Charlie is attacking you."

(unrelated to illness, but related to her get well treat) "How I feel about cheesecake is the same way that Chappy (grandpa) feels about mayonnaise."

(unrelated to anything) "Mom, here's a hard one...What is the angular momentum of a particle rotating about a fixed axis?"  (I kid you not.  She really asked me this.)

Goodness me!  I hate when my kids are sick, but I must admit that dialoging with Bennett brings a bit of joy to the fact that she's under the weather.   She cannot go back to school until she's been fever-free for 24 hours, which means I should have today and even tomorrow to log crazy comments.  I am actually looking forward to it!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Oh dear. Perhaps that is why she was having a rough morning on Sunday.....and a bad hair day. It was coming! I also look forward to many more comments--so entertaining!

Greta said...

Jenn,
We just had a similar situation at our house. It started with Karis and progressively got worse as it passed to each kid. Ryan though with the high temp also had some crazy moments and things to say - I was actually worried at one point that he was hallucinating! Back to normal here now after 10 days of yuck!