Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Recreating Memories - Braids, Milli Vanilli and the Dump

Lately I have not done well with updating this blog.  Technical difficulties with photo loading/editing software really zap my motivation to post.  I will try to overcome and do better.  Here we go...

 Some know that I am very nostalgic and loved my childhood days.  Probably because my mom and dad were awesome.  Probably also because it was the 80s.  The 80s were the best decade ever.  In a moment of nostalgia, I offered to braid the girls' hair after their baths.  My mom did this to me and my sister and we enjoyed the look.  Why not recreate the memory, right?  Yeah, well I didn't realize it would take me FORTY MINUTES just to braid Bennett's hair.  Sheesh!  By the time I got to Ainsley, I kind of wussed out and did bigger braids.  Sorry, second child....jipped again!
 Bennett got a new knit headband from my cousin.  She loves it and has been wearing it nonstop, including with her braids.  This kind of reminded me of Milli Vanilli.  So fitting, as the "do" we were going for was 80s inspired.  Girl you know it's true...ga, ga, ga, ga, girl!  Oooh, oooh, ooooooo....I love you!  Milli Vanilli was awesome.
 Aaaand....the frizzy, crimpy 80s hair.  Oh dear.  It looks as nutso now as it did back then, but the girls love it!  Bennett feels it really makes her look like the mean mom in the movie "Tangled."  Yep, I should say.  And I also should say that as I look at this picture, I am pretty sure that someday she will look back on this photo and really dislike it.  
 And on to another 80s memory, a vague one, and that is going to the dump.  I can only recall going to the dump once during my childhood.  It was with my dad.  I am pretty sure we drank Pepsi on the way and I remember I felt terrible because I was coming down with the stomach flu.  Weird recall, but anyway, Dad and I needed to dispose of our old treadmill so we thought, "Hey, let's experience something new as a family!  Let's go to the dump!  The girls will love it!  We'll let them drink pop on the way!"  As you can see in the above photo, they were enjoying the idea as we left the driveway. 
 Ahh, the dump!  The only mountain in our area of the country.  Doesn't look so bad...
 Uh...the top of the dump.  Apparently in my recollection of visiting the dump as a child, my brain chose to block out memories of the extreme and horrid stench.  Here is a view from up top of the impressive dump mountain, and here is the heavy equipment moving crap around.  And nope, that's not dust.  That is pure stank of rotting steam trash in what is really a gigantic compost pile.  So, so incredibly nasty was the smell up there! 
And oh, how the faces have changed!  I am so glad we grabbed Ainsley a face mask before we left home.  She cannot handle bad smells and gags super easily.  I brought the mask, you know, just in case it was a tad bit stinky.  Woah.  Insanely stinky.  Can you see the concern and disgust in their little eyes.  It was in my eyes as well.  Never in all my days have I smelled or walked in the likes of that mess.  We were on that hill for less than two mintues total, and we had to air our car out for a full day.    Yikesies!  Here's what I have learned:  1) I had an awesome childhood.  2) The 80s were so great.  (already knew both of those) 3) It's fun to try recreate memories with your kids  4) The experience is not the same as the memory after 25 years.  5)  Dump workers earn their pay  6)  One trip to the dump every 25 years or so is plenty!

No comments: