Thursday, June 7, 2012

You Won't Find This on Pinterest!

Repurposing at its finest right here...


Bennett and Ainsley each got new undies this week.  They love new undies, and really, who doesn't? 
Bennett asked me if they could cut up their old underwear, as much of it was either getting small or falling apart.  Sure!  Why not?!  I did not know that the cutting would be taken so seriously and would result in some (ahem) wonderful creations.  First, we have headbands. 


The girls cut and cut for a large portion of an afternoon.  "We are making an underwear quilt!" they announced.  Yes, we'll see, girls.  As the next morning arrived, they immediately resumed cutting.  Maybe they are serious about this quilt.


And then began the arranging of the quilt squares.  Indeed, they are serious!


We ran a few errands after the quilt squares had been cut and arranged.  I did not realize until we arrived at our first destination that a panty headband had made it's way out of the house.  Fortunately, Ainsley was willing to leave it in the car while we were at the store. 


Bennett likes to hand stitch things, but decided that Grandma D's sewing machine might be handy for this project.  I told her I'd sew the squares down to a scrap of an old t-shirt for her.  First of all, I am not a sewer.  And second, I was not finding it necessary to invest much time or precision into an UNDERWEAR QUILT!  I quick slapped this puppy together...
 ...as you can tell by the stitchery on the back side!  Wow.  This is something you won't find on Pinterest!
 Slop job done, and we still have two delighted girls!  They love their underwear quilt.  Bennett is planning to hand stitch a tiny underwear quilt from the smaller set of quilt squares.  Then we'll have two!  Goodie!!!
And isn't it funny how children get attached to the strangest things?  Here is Ainsley, already cuddling with the underwear quilt.  It would not surprise me one bit if this quilt becomes a treasured item.  I can already here one of the girls asking, "Can I take the underwear quilt to school for sharing time?"  Um, no.  I have to draw the line somewhere.  This will be a stay-at-home treasure.  Silly girls and their out-of-the-box craft ideas!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Ha, this is SO awesome. This may indeed end up in a business venture for you all. Why not?! It's hard to part with some of those cute undie patterns. I do hope I see the thing this weekend. :)