Friday, November 5, 2010

Forward Progress

I did not realize how much work it would be to create a Little House cabin. I basically thought I would be moving things from cardboard boxes to Rubbermaid tubs and hauling it to the basement. I did not know it would end up requiring so much purging and reorganization of other closets. In the end it will all be good, but in the meantime our house is a disaster and the process is long. It is progress, none the less!The closet is half emptied, and during the closet clean out, I found several of my classroom things from my premom teaching days. It made me a teeny tiny twinge sad to not have these things hanging in my classroom somewhere, but only for a split second. I would not trade one minute of the past 8 years at home with my girls for any classroom. And I thought, "Why not put a little life back into these materials and make a little temporary classroom out of some of this stuff!?" Thus, we have the one room school house, soon to become Little House cabin! Ainsley has really been into playing "school" lately, so she is very happy.
Miss Ainsley reads a book to her student, Bennett a.k.a. Kirsten.

To add to the pioneer spirit, a friend told us about and area Frontier exhibit, and we decided to check it out! Here are the girls in a pioneer kitchen. It was fun to see the old furniture and utensils. It gave us some good ideas about things we can have in our own cabin, including a little Christmas tree strung with popcorn garland! Yippee!


The one-room school house was really fun as well! The simplicy of benches, chalkboard and little slate boards is refreshing when compared to the world of desks, Promethean boards and laptops. Ahhh, simpler times...we embrace you!



No comments: