Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Star Wars? Well, I Never...

Here comes another post.  Can you tell that I gave up Facebook for Lent?  Obviously, I have more time on my hands these days.  Sad but true.  Anyway, sickness continues.  Dad stayed home from work today, Bennett missed another day of school.  Neither felt good enough to move around much, and we don't have cable.  We do, however, have the Star Wars trilogy on VHS.  Why?  I really don't know.  We are not sci-fi people in the least.  We're not anti-sci-fi, we've just never been super into it.  Last summer we saw the Star Wars trilogy at a garage sale and Dad thought we should pick it up, you know, for a rainy day when we might have strep throat and nothing better to watch.  Today, the day came.  I truly never thought it would, but it did.


Dad and Bennett watched the first tape, "Star Wars," this morning.  No one in our family had ever seen Star Wars before.  Not even Dad.  Not even in the 80s.  Never.  It was a new vista.  A few observations: 1.  Who knew Indiana Jones was in Star Wars!?  2.  Luke Skywalker is not as cute as I thought he should be.  3.  Princess Leia is not as young looking as I expected.  4.  I've confirmed that I'm for sure not into sci-fi.  I won't be watching "The Empire Strikes Back" or "Return of the Jedi."



Observation 5.  It's now 4:52 p.m. and Dad and the girls are...watching "The Empire Strikes Back?!"  What!?  I don't get it.  They apparently like it.  They even moved the loveseat over to the center of the living room so everyone could sit in utmost comfort to watch the second video.  And on top of that, they are dialoging more throughout the movie in regards to the plot than I've ever seen them do while watching any movie.  Seriously.  In all my days I would never have guessed these three would be watching and enjoying the Star Wars trilogy together.  Illness does strange things to people, I guess.

No comments: