Thursday, June 19, 2008

African Safari/San Diego Zoo

Yesterday we spent a great deal of time playing African Safari, complete with many wild animals and a makeshift shelter with necessary supplies. The above picture was taken live, on safari. This morning, as soon as we awoke, the African Safari magically became The San Diego Zoo. Bennett took me on a zoo tour as I drank my morning coffee. Zoo tour photos are seen below.
Here Bennett is telling me about the Western Diamondback. Notice her gloves...necessary protection when handling a venemous snake.
Bennett also gave a lovely presentation on the Mouse-Sized Bat, which she tells me weighs 30lbs. and is 10" long. That doesn't sound very mouse-sized, but I let my concerns about the accuracy of her information go unspoken. She also told me this bat lives in the mountains and has a hole in it's back where it keeps a very durable silk used for spinning it's web-like nest. More suspect information, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.
Our tour wrapped up at the Tree Frog exhibit. I'm told these creatures live in the Amazon, which is the rainforest in South America, you know. Next time you see me, you may want to ask me about tree frogs. I'll tell you everything I now know, thanks to Bennett. It will certainly be a fine mix of fact and fiction.






1 comment:

Minyo said...

That sounds like one scary bat. The only thing I know about frogs is that the really bright colored ones are poisonous!

At least when you tell people "it's a real zoo at my house", you're not exaggerating.