Monday, June 16, 2008

Authority, Discipline, Responsibility and Big Sis to the Rescue

It is so hard to be a toddler! Ainsley and I are frequently in the battle to determine who is the boss. She tells me that I am the boss, but she doesn't always show me that this is the case. Today she wanted to get a specific toy out, and I told her she could gladly do so after she had put the magnets back on the refrigerator that she had left all over the kitchen floor. This was not what she wanted to hear, whatsoever. She screamed and cried for a long time about how she just couldn't clean up the magnets and how she needed my help. I told her she didn't have to clean the magnets up, but that her requested toy would not be making an appearance until the magnet mess was gone. The wailing continued and continued. Bennett even said, "I am just getting so tired of all this fussing! She should have been in time out by now!" True, Bennett! I placed Ainsley in the chair to simmer down. She did not simmer for about 20 minutes. Finally, she got off the chair and began putting the magnets back on the fridge, as seen in the above photo.
After she was about half way finished, she started saying, "I'm tired...my aim (arm) is so tired." She was not fussing when she said this, so that was good. Her big sis came and sat beside her, helping her put the rest of the magnets on the fridge. I allowed this assistance, since Ainsley had stopped fussing and was complaining of exhaustion in such a calm and composed manner. Bennett explained to Ainsley that crying will never get you what you want...it doesn't help a thing! (I hope Bennett remembers that the next time she's the one fussing!)
Ainsley was so thrilled with her sister's help! She gave Bennett a large, appreciative hug once the magnet mess was gone. Then she enjoyed her requested toy. This lesson in authority, discipline, responsibility and the value of a compassionate sibling took at least 45 minutes. Whew! I'm sure we will be experiencing the same lesson again in the next day or two. I'm hoping we'll be able to cut the learning time down to less than 30 minutes the next time around. Like I said, it's tough to be a toddler.




1 comment:

Minyo said...

I think Ainsley is falling in Little Sis's footsteps. Perhaps Bennett and Big Sis can compare notes on this some day. It can be SOOOO frustrating, yet, a very valuable lesson for the little one.