Monday, January 19, 2009

WALMART - LOW PRICES, NOT ALWAYS

So we went to Walmart as a family tonight. To make the trip more appealing to the children we allowed them to take a little bit of money from their spending banks, to be spent as they so desired. Each girl took $3.21, enough money to purchase something up to $3 in value, plus the tax. They are well aware that when they take spending money to a store they may only buy items they have enough money to pay for. For some reason this lesson was more difficult for Bennett tonight than it usually is. I think this is because she is usually able to find an item she wants that she can actually afford. This was not the case tonight. She searched every inch of Walmart and simply could not find anything she wanted for $3.21 or less. Ainsley did...Valentine's candy. She even came home with money to put back in the bank. Bennett did not want candy, but rather something "that would last forever." Since she could find nothing in the time frame she was given, she had to be taken to the car empty handed and crying her eyes out. It was quite a scene. Ainsley even offered to share her candy with Bennett but she would accept no consolation. Grant waited in the car with Bennett while Ainsley and I checked out. He said he could not control his laughter as she read the sign above the Walmart entrance aloud in the car..."Walmart, Low Prices...Always" He said she read it and they carried on and on about what a lie that statement was and how disgusted she was because the prices of the toys she wanted were not low enough. Oh, such hard lessons learned at such a young age!

3 comments:

Darath said...

Please tell Bennett, that even at age 31, I too, am still often upset that there's nothing I can find for what I can afford either!

Minyo said...

Perhaps Bennett should take her money to Target. G and I had an outing the other day. She found a Barbie she fell in love with at the Osky Wal-Mart for $11 something. I told her she needed to sleep on it and if she still wanted it she could buy it. The next day, we went to Ottumwa. At Wal-Mart the same doll was $10.88. We then did some price comparison shopping and bought the same doll at Target for $9.99.

I agree with Bennett. Wal-Mart does NOT have the lowest price all the time. Hard lesson for her to learn though :(

Anonymous said...

My youngest is a Huge fan of dollar general for that very same reason.