Friday, January 28, 2011

Nothing Wasted: Life With a Packrat

I got my new camera yesterday, which was much earlier than expected. Yay! Unfortunately, we didn't have much going on yesterday, so there was nothing thrilling to document in photos. Therefore, to put the camera to use, I decided to document a glimpse into the life of one little packrat. We'll call her "Bennett."
Everything is a treasure to Bennett. She sees purpose in the most undesirable of items. Here are some samplings from her bedroom, a vast collection of crap, I mean treasures. First off, "Wait mom! Don't put that cardboard, Williams-Sonoma soap caddy into the recycling tub! Let me recycle it for you...in my room!" Here we have a gift container turned rabbit care caddy. There is room for a bunny or two and all of your rabbit grooming supplies. Of course! Why didn't I think of that!?

Aunt J. so kindly thought of Bennett when she was at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum. She brought Bennett a sweet Abe Lincoln keychain. It came in an Abe Lincoln plastic sack. Keep the keychain, toss the sack right? Wrong! Keep them both. Put the keychain on your backpack and put the bag on your magnetic dry erase board as a piece of wall art. And again I say, well of course! Makes complete sense!


And remember this fake mustache Dad sported back in December. This should have made it's way to the trash can immediately. Not surprisingly, it was rescued...



...and it now serves as a fur wrap for Bennett's prized Egyptian princess. I personally find this gross and creepy, but hey, who am I to judge. I must admit that living with a child who turns trash into treasure is entertaining. I just hope we can encourage creativity, yet guide and set boundaries so that she doesn't end up on the hit show, Hoarders, some day. It's a fine line.




No comments: