Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Love Notes

Love is in the air...or something like that. Bennett brought home her first official love note, passed to her by a little boy on the playground during recess. He is smitten. As to protect his identity, here is the bottom half of his note, a sweet little song he wrote for Bennett. Judging by his statement, "I meen it," he is quite serious about his feelings for her. Notice, he desired a response..."Pleas write back." Bennett respectfully wrote him back stating that she enjoyed the note, and she values his friendship, especially when they play Super Mario Bros. on the playground. She gently informed him that she feels that she is too young to be "in love" or to have a boyfriend, so they would be remaining Super Mario buddies only. She asked that the note be mailed to lover boy, as she knows that note passing in school is inappropriate and against the rules. Into the snail mail it went. I hope the lad was not crushed when he received it.
Here is an entirely different type of "love note" we have on our fridge. Bennett has been struggling with some sadness and fears at home and school. Dad and I have been encouraging her to seek Jesus as her source of help when she's tempted to feel unfounded guilt, fear, sadness. We told her that Satan wants to kick her while she's down and she must resist him, and she would most likely have to resist him over and over and over, just as Jesus had to when Satan tempted Him in the desert. Well yesterday when I picked her up from school, she told me she'd had a good day with no tears. When I asked her why she said, "Well, every time I started to feel bad about something or sad, I just remembered to ask Jesus for help and I just told Satan to leave me alone!" Hallelujah!!!!!! Praise God that he truly is a help in time of trouble and she experienced this first hand. Totally awesome. Anyway, back to the love note, this is what she created on the fridge late yesterday afternoon. It's like she was just outpouring love and worship to Jesus...maybe for His help that day, maybe just because. Whatever the reason, this kind of "love note," unprompted by anyone, just a girl loving her God, was incredibly awesome to see. What a blessing that I hope to see continue in her little life. (And yes, the red cross is made from the beloved duct tape that is a current rage around here!)

1 comment:

Julie said...

Wow--that is awesome that Bennett is at that stage in her faith. I love that Jesus is part of her personal daily life! And...very mature of her not to pass notes and to continue her friendship only with her little Super Mario Bros. boy. Is his name Luigi perhaps?