
Last night Bennett did something very illegal in our house. She took one of Ainsley's whole pretzels and traded her a broken one. Ainsley was immediately outraged. This was not the major offense, however. The major offense came when I told Bennett to trade the pretzel back with her sister. She looked me right in the eyes and took a bite out of her sister's pretzel! I was hot! I realize one should not discipline out of anger, but I picked her up off the floor and carried her straight to her bed...no second chances. She was quite upset by this sudden consequence...she was not even allowed to gather her beloved "bedtime items" a.k.a. blanket and doll to take with her. She did not even brush her teeth. It was quite a severe course of action for her, especially the part about not having her blanket and doll. She was in her bed crying and screaming for at least one hour about the lack of bedtime items. Here were a couple of her statements...."I WILL NEVER GO TO SLEEP WITHOUT MY BLANKET AND BABY! NOT EVEN IF IT TAKES TWO YEARS!" THIS IS THE WORST NIGHT OF MY LIFE! BLANKET AND BABY! BLANKET AND BABY!" It was crazy. She put up quite a fight. She eventually calmed down, and I was able to talk with her about her disobedience and why I chose such a harsh consequence. She understood. I think she thought I would give her back the bedtime items after our talk, which I didn't, which began the intense crying again. But eventually she went to sleep and she is a much happier kid this morning. Her eyes are still red and puffy from last night, but she is chipper. She assures me there will not be a repeat offense anytime soon. I hope not!
No comments:
Post a Comment