Thursday, February 16, 2012

Family Photo

Bennett had to draw a family portrait for an art project at school.  She decided to make it look as if we are at Sears, posed on the white backdrop, getting our picture taken.  There are a few things I really like about this drawing.  1) I like how the sign on the studio door states that pictures are FREE today!  I'm a sucker for a bargain. 2) I think Bennett did a terrific job drawing us with some dimension, as far as the posing goes.  Ainsley and I are clearly in front of the bench and she and Dad are behind.  3) I love how she drew us affectionately touching each other.  Hands on shoulders, hands being held...feel the love.  4) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how even though it's 2012, we are being photographed with a camera from the late 19th century.  You'll notice that the photographer is under a curtain.  Maybe Bennett thought she could achieve the vintage Instagram look if the photographer used a super old camera.  Fun, fun stuff.  Also, a bizarre comment came as she was coloring this drawing....She accidentally used a relatively dark shade for the photographer's hand as she colored it.  Not realizing this until it was too late she said, "Oh no!  This is too dark of a skin tone.  I didn't mean to use this colored pencil!  Oh well. Maybe the photographer is a Nez Perce Indian."  Again, it's 2012, but we are now referencing a people group that originated in the early 19th century or before.  Never a dull comment or drawing from this girl!

No comments: